Business in the front…
Hi! I’m Mel, marketing comms manager and creative writer with a lifelong zeal for storytelling and all things creative.
I ain’t exaggerating when I say “lifelong” zeal: I’ve been telling stories since I could talk and writing them down since I could hold a pencil.
- At 9 years old, I was scribbling stories in spiral notebooks when I was supposed to be doing homework and getting in trouble for “reading too much” in class.
- At 12, I’d just finished writing my first novel in Wordpad. (Yes, Wordpad.) I deleted all 18 chapters after reading them once. You might say my inner critic started young.
- At 13, I was managing my first team of writers and interviewing subject-matter experts as an editor on my middle school’s newspaper team.
- At 17, I had a second team of writers under my belt and 6 years of experience writing, editing, designing, publishing, and distributing copy and content (albeit in print form).
- At 22, I graduated from my master’s program on the subject I’ve loved all my life: calculus. (Kidding, obv! I can’t even do basic sums in my head.)
Why am I sharing my whole creative life story with you?
To hammer home that I am, indeed, about this content life. Always have been.
But I’m so much more than “just” a writer. Or an editor. Or a manager.
I’m all those things, and then some — thanks to the communications skills I’ve been developing since literal babyhood.
So that’s why I market myself as a marketing comms manager instead of a freelance writer.
Because I’ve never been a one-track-mind kinda gal.
When I work with you, I’m not just reviewing your blog and website.
I’m also looking at your:
- Social media posts
- Email newsletters
- Help Center articles
- SMS marketing copy
- In-app copy and push notifications (for SaaS)
Basically all your customer-facing comms across all your company’s platforms, profiles, and products.
Doesn’t matter where it lives or what format it’s in — it’s all messaging.
And all effective messaging looks, sounds, and feels the same in every place your customers might find you.
How do you achieve that?
You craft the right words, package them in an accessible and user-friendly format, and deliver them thoughtfully.
And I’ve had a lot of practice doing just that. (As you can see from my little bulleted list up there.)
Could you hire a content writer to work on your blog, a copywriter to handle the landing pages and in-app copy, a technical writer to work on your customer support content, and a separate manager to oversee everything?
Sure. In fact, that’s what you’re “supposed” to do.
But that’s also expensive, as you’re well aware. And it’s not the ideal route for every brand.
So if you’re looking for a versatile marketing manager with the chops to create, edit, design, distribute, and project-manage your brand’s impactful messaging, holla at me!
…party in the back!
On the off chance you’re actually interested in “fun facts” like where I’m from and what I like to do in my free time, here ya go. (Gah, even writing this gives me “first day of school, stand up and tell the class about yourself” kinda vibes.)
- “Mel” is short for Mellissa. (Not Melanie.)
- I was born and raised in South Carolina, but I’ve lived in Ireland for going on 7 years. The Irish are almost as entertained by my accent as I am by theirs.
- Like many creatives, I hoard books and stationery. And I firmly believe that reading books and buying books are two separate hobbies. As are buying stationery and using stationery…
- My current creative writing projects include a micropoetry collection titled “eety beety poweems” and a short story about my Dungeons and Dragons character. (A High Elf noble mage and artist named Lady Miervaldis, if you’re curious.)
- I’m obsessed with bees. My office is bee-themed. And every time I see one, I try to bee-friend them. They’re just so cute and fuzzy and essential for all life on earth!
So there’s your peek at the person behind the biz! For more thrilling updates, connect with ya girl on LinkedIn.